West Yorkshire League Premier Division

Headingley AFC

Headingley took a big step towards Premier Division survival on Saturday as they secured a 3-1 win over Hunslet Club in South Leeds.

The afternoon got off to great start for Headingley as they took the lead in the opening ten minutes of the game courtesy of an own goal.

The advantage was doubled shortly before the half-hour mark as Merlyn Andrews was on target to ensure a two goal cushion going into the break.

The second period saw Jamie Bywater add a third for Headingley before Killian Mabey pulled one back for the home side with what proved to be the final goal of the game.

The result leaves Headingley one point adrift of 13th place Rawdon who have now finished their league season.

Meanwhile Headingley have two games left in which to ensure their Premier Division survival with one point likely to prove sufficient.

Speaking about the match Headingley Joint Manager Tom Monkhouse said: "We took the short trip to Hunslet in what was a must win game in our battle for survival. We’ve had a challenging few months and our form has been disappointing but we have a great bunch of lads who have never stopped believing that we could turn it around.

"After a much improved performance against Knaresborough in our last outing, where we picked up what could be a vital point, Rawdon fortunately slipped up against Salts and Hunslet giving us a way back in. We went into Saturday’s game just one point behind Rawdon with two games in hand.

"Hunslet is always a difficult away fixture. They are strong, physical, well organised and having played them twice already this season, we knew if we were going to pick up anything from this game, we needed to be at our very best.

"We had a game plan, which we executed perfectly and Hunslet struggled to deal with our pace up top. There were times Hunslet looked dangerous in attack, and applied significant pressure to our defence. They rattled the cross bar 3 or 4 times, but it’s about time we had a little luck!! 

"The win has now given us every chance of staying up, with just one more point looking likely to secure another season in the Premiership. I couldn’t have asked any more from the lads, we showed fight, passion and determination and whatever happens in the final two games, this was a performance to be proud of."

He added: "We know it’s not over yet. Rawdon have shown what a great set up they are this season and are unfortunate to be in this position. We wish them luck next season whether it be another season in the Premiership or in Division 1. Hopefully we get the points needed so that it’s the latter!!

Elsewhere Beeston St Anthony's recorded a 7-2 win over Sherburn White Rose at The Kingfield.

Sean Jeavons hit a first half brace for The Saints before Stephen Crawford added a third to ensure Beeston took a three goal cushion into the break.

The South Leeds side got their fourth shortly after half-time thanks to a goal from Matty Nebard and Stephen Crawford then claimed his 26th goal of the season to make it 5-0.

Sherburn pulled a goal back from the penalty spot however Jordan Mullins went on to add a 6th for the home side.

The visitors then got another goal back to make it 6-2 but Beeston claimed the final goal of the game courtesy of a Gareth Groves strike.

The win leaves The Saints seven points behind leaders Carlton Athletic with both sides having four games to play.

Rawdon Old Boys recorded a much needed win in their final game of the season as they beat relegated Wyke Wanderers 6-1 at Whitechapel Road. 

Two own goals, a brace from Oliver Nightingale and goals from Lewis Nightingale and Craig Nicholls secured the win for Rawdon.

Meanwhile substitute James Cook was on target for the home side.

Horbury Town finished off their league campaign with a 2-1 win over Huddersfield Amateur at Old Earth. Alfie Hill and Jak Kelly were on target for Darren Barnes' side.

Leeds City came away from North Yorkshire with all three points as they secured a 2-0 win over Knaresborough Town Reserves.

Adam Dutson was amongst the goals for third place City who find themselves seven points behind leaders Carlton with three games of their league season to play.

Relegated Salts took all three points as they beat Whitkirk Wanderers 2-1 at The Salts Sports Ground thanks to goals from Lewis Clavin and Sam Waterhouse.

Ilkley Town were in action on Sunday as they went head to head with Pool in the Final of The Wharfedale Cup at Nethermoor.

Pool took an early lead but Town hit back on 80 minutes thanks to a goal from Darren Munday which ensured the game finished level at the end of normal time.

Neither side were able to break the deadlock in extra-time meaning the game ended with a penalty shoot-out which Pool went on to win 4-2.




Follow Us

Help support On The Pitch West Yorkshire in continuing to provide local football coverage

Contribution amount

Latest Fixtures








Latest Results

Sunday 15th March 

FA Women's National League Northern Premier Division

West Brom Women 4-2 Huddersfield Town Women (Wolverhampton University Performance Hub, Walsall) Att. 120

FA Women's National League Northern Division One

Brighouse Town Women P:P Newcastle United Women (Waterlogged Pitch)

Leeds United Women 2-0 Durham Cestria Women (at Nostell Miners Welfare) Att. 80

Barnsley Women P:P Bradford City Women